Wednesday 23 January 2008

Dinner on 02/01/08

Menu: Osechi Ryori chikuzen-ni; *kohaku namasu; black beans; king prawns; kinton

I decided to make osechi for the first time this New Year. It was a spontaneous decision, and I only used the ingredients we had at that time. For kinton, we normally use chestnuts and sweet potatoes, but we didn't have chestnuts, so I just used sweet potatoes. Can you see the orange thing on the left? That's kohaku namasu (sweet & sour carrots and daikon.) I cut the top off a satsuma and used it as a bowl. I've seen it done that way somewhere, and I gave it a go. In chikuzen-ni, I used dried shiitake, carrots, daikon, mange tout and chicken. It's extremely easy to make as long as you have the right ingredients and **hontsuyu (the soup base for noodle.) To marinate the king prawns, I used rice vinegar, sugar and orange zest (the same taste as kohaku namasu.)

I made it while my husband was playing with his scalextric at his parents', and by the time he came home, it was ready to be eaten. I put the lid on and asked my husband to open the lid. He was very impressed with it, and we all enjoyed it.

*kohaku means red & white.
**Japanese Hontsuyu Soup Base for Noodle - 12 oz x 2 bottles

No comments: