Tuesday 8 January 2008

Dinner on 31/12/07

This is Toshikoshi soba (well, udon) we had on New Year's Eve. I wanted to try to make Okinawa soba here in England, but as everybody in the family was ill, I thought there's no point in making it. Maybe I can try this year.

We bought a bag of frozen udon from a Chinese market, and had it for supper. My husband wanted to have it as simple as possible (he wasn't feeling well) and didn't even want spring onions on top. The udon in the photo was mine. I love udon! It was made in Japan and tasted really nice. This udon is popular amongst my Japanese friends living in England. I used Hontsuyu to make soup for the udon, and simply sprinckled some spring onions on top. Really simple, isn't it.

This is Hontsuyu I mentioned earlier.
Japanese Hontsuyu Soup Base for Noodle - 12 oz x 2 bottles

I use exactly the same stuff. It's really useful, and you will be able to make all sorts of Japanese dishes with it. I've made the soup for udon/soba from scratch, but I use it when I want something easy to cook. Besides, it may be too difficult for the people who are unfamilier with Japanese cooking (it's not too hard though.) Many Japanese people have this soup base in the fridge and use it often. You can use the same soup for soba (but not for Okinawa soba) as well.

No comments: