Thursday 22 November 2007

Sashimi Teishoku (刺身定食)

This photo was taken more than a year ago when we went back to Okinawa. I went to one of the small Okinawan islands called Ohjima with my husband and daughter. When I was living with my parents in Okinawa, my mother and I would go there to buy fresh sashimi which was caught on the island. You can buy good quality sashimi cheaply there, and we were often lucky enough to be given something extra for free, which was very nice of them. Nothing expensive, but something like fish meat close to the bone which makes really good soup etc.

Anyway, we went to one of the restaurants on Ohjima, and my husband ordered "sashimi teshoku (sashimi set-menu)" as you see on the photo. Isn't it gorgeous? (well, not for the people who are not sashimi eaters, I suppose.) It's very common to have sashimi with shredded daikon and Perilla (or shiso as we call it.) I love shiso! I like eating sashimi with shredded daikon and wrap them up with shiso. It's REALLY nice! You should try it when you have a chance.

The black stuff in a white bowl on top is mozuku (a type of seaweed.) As I might mention before, we Okinawans eat lots of seaweed. I have no idea how many types of seaweed is out there, but we eat it a lot. We are well-known for that.

If you ever have a chance to go to Okinawa, you should visit the island which is located close to Southern mainland Okinawa. (There is a bridge across to the island, so you can drive there.)

No comments: