Monday 15 December 2008

Dinner on 13/12/08

Menu: Chicken soup with kelp and vegetables, rice, umeboshi puree, abura-miso, steamed cabbage with balsamic vinegar dressing

It was freezing in the house, and we couldnt't warm up all day. The heating system in our house hasn't been working properly, so I though I would make a nice soup. Yes, my favourite soup - chicken soup with kelp! I decided to add in other root vegetables which are supposed to help to warm up your body if you eat them. I just used pre-boiled chicken (we normally boil the meat to remove fat before using in soup), ginger, Chinese cooking sake, water, kelp, leek, potatoes and carrots. I didn't bother adding in salt as I thought kelp had enough salt.

I had made cheating version of aburamiso, which is cooked miso paste, tuna and sugar. We normally use pre-boiled pork for this, but using tuna makes it much easier to make it. We eat it with rice.

I would normally use leaf vegetables (e.g. pak choi) for this soup, but we didn't have any, so I made a side dish with steamed cabbage salad. Having that extra dish made it perfect combination of the dinner, I think. We had seaweed, animal protein, root vegetables, carbohydrate, green vegetables, miso, umeboshi (they both are good for your health) and vinegar (also good for your health)! A meal should be like that.

Anyway, with the help of soup including sake and ginger, we felt warm after the dinner:)

No comments: