Wednesday 3 December 2008

Mushroom salad

Before I forget, I will write about the tasty salad I made a few days ago.
We had some white mushrooms which had to get used soon, so I thought of making something interesting, something different.
I know that it's quite common to use mushrooms in salad in the west, but in Japan or Okinawa, we don't eat them row - we normally cook them. Besides, mushrooms are quite expensive there, so we rarely buy fresh mushrooms. Well, as you might know, we have different types of mushrooms (e.g. shiitake, maitake, enokidake etc...); these are quite cheap, and we use them lots, but not the western ones.

Anyway, as I was looking in the fridge, yellow peppers and carrots caught my eyes. Then I thought of making mushroom salad using peppers and carrots. I cut peppers in strips, mushrooms in chunky pieces, shredded carrots, and made Balsamic vinegar dressing. For the dressing, I used Balsamic vinegar, virgin olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper to taste. And then, I thought it might taste better if I put in some fried onions. Yes, my guess was right. It was really nice! Fried onions and the dressing went really well together!

Sorry, no photos and a recipe for it yet.

No comments: