Tuesday 5 June 2007

Dinner on 4/6/07

Menu:Miso soup; rice; spinach, salmon& grated Daikon




I have miso soup almost everyday. I love putting in lots of vegetables and seaweed. Last night, I added Chinese cabbage, onion, daikon(Japanese radish/mooli), carrots and wakame(seaweed) in my miso soup.

When making miso soup, we normally use dashi(either bonito stock or kelp stock) before adding ingredients to the boiling water, but if you put in lots of vegetables, you don't really need it (you could use it if you want).

The ingredients of the simple and typical miso soup would be wakame (seaweed), tofu and spring onion. My non-Japanese friends would ask me what to put in miso soup, but there is no rule - you can add anything you want! We sometimes use meat along with vegetables. I love using sweet potatoes or normal potatoes - they give a sweet taste to the soup.



The main dish was boiled spinach and salmon (canned) with grated daikon on top. It was really nice. I felt like having salmon, so I decided to make this dish. We love having fish with grated daikon! I added a dash of soy sauce to taste.

No comments: