Tuesday 10 July 2007

Chicken Soup with Daikon


Serves 4
600g chicken thighs (or drumsticks)
600g daikon chunky slices and cut those in half
10 mustard greens boiled for 20 seconds, squeeze out the water, and cut them in 5cm pieces
50g dried konbu (kelp) soaked in water
2 liters dashi stock
1/4 liter cooking sake
1 small root ginger cut in slices
1/2 tsp soy sauce
sea salt to taste
  1. Put the chicken in the boiled water and then rinse.
  2. Tie the kelp into knots 10cm apart and cut between the knots.
  3. Boil the daikon until soften, drain and put them aside.
  4. In a large saucepan, pour over the stock, add ginger, chicken, kelp, sake and bring to the boil skimming off any scum which floats on the surface.
  5. Reduce the heat to low/moderate and cook until the ingredients are soft.
  6. Add soy sauce and salt to taste. Add the boiled daikon and cook until the soup is soaked in. Add the boiled greens towards the end.  
*Pak choi or spinach can be used instead of mustard greens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melina,
Thanks for sharing your recipe. I make this recipe too. The kelp tied in knots always reminds me of Okinawa. Sooo oishi ne? I am half Okinawan and now living in San Diego. I'm looking for a soki soba recipe, the 1 Okinawan restaurant in San Diego has closed and now I am lost without my soki :)

Melina said...

Thank you for your comment, Patricia! I love kelp dishes and will write more recipe using kelp :-) The kelp tied in knots does remind me of Okinawa as well. Oishi desu. So, you live in San Diego then. I used to live in North San Diego county. I wonder where the Okinawan restaurant was. I will try to write the recipe for soki soba soon, but I have to make it to get the right recipe first.