Monday 2 July 2007

Pork Soup

Last Saturday, I heard that my mother in law was ill, so I decided to make some soup for her. When you are ill, you don't want to think about food or cooking. In my case, I feel homesick everytime I'm ill. When I was back home, there was always somebody to look after me, making nice soup or a meal. It's just a lovely feeling that somebody cares for me.

I remember that my mum used to make the soup called "Chimushinji" which is good for colds. In Chimushinji, we use pork liver, pork, yellow carrots, lots of garlic and sometimes, miso paste. It's a quite well-known soup in Okinawa. My grandmother used to make it for my mum.

Anyway, I didn't have pork liver, so I just used pork. I changed the recipe a bit and made my own version of it. I used Chinese cooking sake, leek, garlic and pork. I saved some for my husband and put ginger in the soup. (my mother in law doesn't like ginger, so I didn't use it.)

I think that the soup is the best food to eat when you don't feel well and haven't got much appetite.

No comments: