Wednesday 11 July 2007

A typical Japanese meal

As Japan is surrounded by the sea, we eat fish often. This is one of my favourite fish, rainbow trout, and I remember eating trout for the first time in Nagano.

I lived in Nagano for a few months when I was about 22, and I saw trouts in the local super market close to where I lived. I got really excited then because I had never seen trout before. In Okinawa, we have many kinds of seafood, but not river fish. I bought a couple of trout and had it two days in a row. I simply grilled the trout and had it with some grated daikon and soy sauce - it was delicious! Since then, it became one of my favourite fish.

When I have trout, I always like eating it with grated daikon, a dash of soy sauce, rice and miso soup. It is one of the typical Japanese meals. On that day, I had wholegrain rice, umeboshi (Japanese plum)paste, boiled spinach, miso soup, and of course grated daikon with trout. Both umeboshi and daikon help us digest food properly and kill germs, so they are great combinations with meat and seafood.

I'm glad that I can buy trout here in England.

No comments: