Wednesday 11 July 2007

Cooking and me

Yesterday I wrote the recipe for Chicken soup with daikon, which is one of my favourite dishes. I would say that it's a typical Okinawan dish because we like using meat, kelp, and vegetables together in the same dish, but normally we use pork instead of chicken. Actually, it's my mum's recipe. She improved the recipe by using leaf vegetable and chicken. It's nice with pork, but I like it with chicken in the soup. She makes it often, and it's one of those dishes which reminds me of home. I remember helping my mum in the kitchen when I was living with my parents.

Believe it or not, I started cooking when I was six! My earliest memory of cooking is making Japanese-style curry with my mum. I still remember standing on a small chair or something while washing vegetables and cooking
as I was still small. It was always exciting for me to cook with my mum.

One of the reasons why I like cooking is because I simply like eating. I like eating out occasionally, but you don't know what's in it. As my mum used to say "you are what you eat", I believe that it's very important to eat healthily to maintain our health. I don't want to eat rubbish food all the time. I sometimes eat junk food, but if I keep eating it, I feel sick. When I don't eat well, my body tells me what to eat. For instance, a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't eaten enough vegetables for a few days, and I started feeling sick. I could tell that my body needed vegetables, so I made a vegetable soup which made me feel better.

I really appreciate what my mum taught me in terms of cooking and healthy eating.

No comments: