Wednesday 11 July 2007

Nabe

This is a typical and popular winter dish in Japan. This dish is cooked at the dining table. People sit around the hot pot and cook for themselves and eat. There are many kinds of nabe dishes - using beef, pork, chicken, seafood, vegetables, tofu, shiitake, mushrooms and so on. Sukiyaki is one of the famous nabe dishes using thin sliced beef and vegetables.

There are several kinds of sauce to go with nabe dishes. Ponzu(soy sauce and yuzu orange) and gomadare(soy sauce and sesame) are my favourites. Normally, we cook ingredients in dashi stock, and dip them in the sauce, but with sukiyaki, we cook it in a soy based sauce, and dip cooked ingredients in a beaten raw egg. It tastes really nice.

We eat nabe dish with rice, and cook udon (a type of noodle) with other ingredients in the hot pot.

I cook nabe dishes in winter, but never made sukiyaki here in England. I can't get hold of thin sliced beef to start with and am too scared to eat raw eggs in England. So, I always use chicken, tofu and vegetables.


Nabe dishes are very much a hands-on interactive experience, and this adds an element of fun to mealtimes.

I love nabe dishes, and so does my husband :-)

2 comments:

Power Plant said...

Hi

For the Sukiyaki you need to find a traditional English butcher who will have a slicing machine (usually used for ham etc) that he can set up to make the slices ultra thin.

I am from the South East of England now living in Okinawa and doing what you have done in reverse.

Melina said...

Haitai, power plant san.
Nifee dee biru for leaving a comment!

Of course! They cut ham ultra thin, so even the deli at Tesco or somewhere might do that. I've never thought of that. Thank you for letting me know.

It's nice to hear from somebody who is doing the same thing in reverse. Do you enjoy living in Okinawa? I live in the South East of England as well :-)